The flavors and spices I cook with can certainly become a bit ho-hum and boring. I grab the same 4 or 5 bottles of spices pretty much all the time. Currently I blame my lack of cable tv and inspiration from the Food Network that I used to love so much. Sigh. But this week I was lucky enough to have a big bunch of cilantro sitting in my fridge, waiting for me to use it up from my CSA that came last week.
Some of the health benefits of cilantro include:
- Powerful anti-inflammatory capacities that may help symptoms of arthritis
- Protective agents against bacterial infection from Salmonella in food products
- Acts to increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind), and reduces LDL cholesterol (the bad kind)
- Relief for stomach gas, prevention of flatulence and an overall digestive aid
- Wards off urinary tract infections
- Helps reduce feelings of nausea
- Eases hormonal mood swings associated with menstruation
- Has been shown to reduce menstrual cramping.
- Adds fiber to the digestive tract
- A source of iron, magnesium, and is helpful in fighting anemia
- Gives relief for diarrhea, especially if caused by microbial or fungal infections
- Helps promote healthy liver function.
- Reduces minor swelling
- Strong general anti-oxidant properties
- Disinfects and helps detoxify the body