Easy Recipe: Crockpot braised lamb shanks (Osso Buco) with tomato sauce
I owe the motivation to make this recipe to my good friend Caitlin Weeks of GrassFedGirl.com. She is always telling me how awesome it is to throw frozen meat into the crock pot at night and wake up to amazing food in the morning. She’s right. I’m just the kind of person who gets tired of certain flavors all the time, but I am realizing that I LOVE braised dishes that have a tomato-based sauce. YUM. This is what I made last night before I tucked into sleep.
Crockpot braised lamb shanks (Osso Buco) with tomato sauce
Yield: Approximately 4 servings.
Click here for estimated nutrition facts.
Almost finished! (Click to view larger)
- 2lbs of lamb shanks (osso buco) - mine were frozen but you can use fresh and probably cook them for less time, possibly 4-6 hours.
- 1- 32oz can of organic canned marinara sauce (includes seasonings) – I used Trader Joe’s.
Note: If you can’t find a good pre-seasoned sauce without weird additives or extra sugar, use plain tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes and add 1 tsp each of dried basil and oregano or other seasonings you like.
- Optional: 1/4 c of liquid from kalamata or green olives (I had some leftover sitting in a jar so I threw it in!)
- 1 yellow or white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- A few shakes of of Celtic sea salt
- Black pepper to taste – I used a few grinds over the pot
My plate. (Click to view larger)
- Place frozen lamb, tomatoes (spices optionally), onion, carrots, garlic, salt, and pepper into the crock pot on low for 8 hours (overnight or all day).
- The dish is done when the meat is falling off of the bone.
- You may also braise the lamb in a dutch oven pot like this one at around 250 degrees for 6+ hours.
- Try this dish with beef instead of lamb.
Note: This dish will make anywhere from 2-4 servings depending on how much meat vs bone is in your lamb, who you are feeding, and how much they eat. I’ll probably enjoy it at 3 meals.
Yes, you can enjoy this meal while on the 21-Day Sugar Detox.
Leave a Reply