Podcast Episode #56: Gall Bladder, tongue toxicity, gastric bypass, hula hoops & hormones
Remember – If you’re enjoying these podcasts, please leave us a review in iTunes. Thanks!
Episode #56: Gall Bladder, tongue toxicity, gastric bypass, hula hoops & hormones
Balanced Bites Workshops:
SAT., October 20, Rochester, NY
SAT., November 17, Tacoma, WA
FREE Practical Paleo book signing events with Q&A:
FRI., October 12, 2012: 6-8pm, Pittsburgh, PA
THURS., October 18, 2012: 7-8:30pm, West Orange, NJ
FRI., October 26, 2012: 7-9pm, San Diego, CA
SAT., October 27, 2012: afternoon time TBA, Los Angeles, CA (Culver City)
TUES., October 30, 2012: 6-8pm, Fort Worth, TX
THURS., November 1, 2012: 6-8pm, Houston, TX
SAT., November 3, 2012: 11am-1pm, Austin, TX
Remember that all events are open to the public, you do not need to belong to the hosting gym to attend!
#1: How to balance fat and protein with no gallbladder. [8:53]
#2: What is my function? Broken appetite signaling? [16:45]
#3. Tongue affected by overall toxicity of the body? [26:21]
#4. I feel like the Willie Wonka blueberry girl/Dolly Parton mutant… Help! [38:08]
#5. Following Paleo I am STARVING post Gastric Bypass [47:44]
Click here to download this episode as an MP3.
The episodes are currently available in iTunes, Stitcher & Blog Talk Radio.
1. How to balance fat and protein with no gallbladder.
Hi ladies! After listening to every episode and reading the book, I finally have a question after listening to episode 54, your top ten questions, which made me feel like I might be a unique snowflake. I don’t want your medical advice, because I know you can’t give that, but I’m just curious about your opinions. You spoke about people with compromised kidney function being perhaps unable to eat standard amounts of protein, and I realized that might be the cause of my elevated creatinine and BUN results on my 4 recent blood tests (yeah, I got tested and then re-tested 3 times). I’m on lithium, which affects the kidneys. Levels were normal pre-paleo. Okay, keto diet, I don’t want to go low-carb, but….I can totally up the fat and lower the protein.
A few questions later, you got to the other exciting question: the gallbladder-free zone. I had my gallbladder out a few years ago. My awesome naturopath has me on a couple of forms of digestive support–HCL, pancreatic enzymes–but not ox bile. I am not afraid of fat by any means, but I’m not sure what would happen if I were to try to raise it, especially depending on variety. My body cannot handle the fat from more than 1-2 servings of nuts, for example. Is there a way to balance (see what I did there?) fat and protein for a person with an overall finicky system?
Things are not typical right now as I am wrapping up work on my first book, but when I shortly get back to normal.
Sleep: 9.5 hours in a completely dark room. I try to wake without an alarm at least a couple days a week.
Food: Autoimmune paleo. I have celiac disease and am working on figuring out cross-reactants. No eggs for sure. Not sure about nightshades so I play with them. No dairy. No chocolate or coffee. I don’t eat out. I brew kombucha and ferment pickles, eat a lot of salmon, grass fed beef, bone broth stew, tons and tons of carrots. Some seasonal fruit. Some sweet potatoes, some tubers. I like vegetables, was never a huge meat fan (maybe my low HCL issues) but I’m getting there and like to cook.
Pills etc: psych meds are lithium, lexapro, seroquel, topamax (bipolar cocktail); naturopath has me on thorne prenatals and 5-mthf (I am not pregnant but because of my celiac she wants me to load up on vitamins), betaine HCL, pancreatic enzymes, barlean’s 3-6-9 liquid fish oil, probiomax probiotics (30 billion), Vitamin D 5000
Exercise: I walk home from work, through the arboretum in Seattle, about 4.5 miles, a few days a week. It’s amazing. No weight training, but I want to.
2. What is my function? Broken appetite signaling?
Hi all. Love the podcast. Love Practical Paleo. Love everything ya’ll do. Rock on. Here’s my thing. I have little to no appetite, accept in the later part of the day. I can go a full 12 hours in the am and not eat and be fine, but around 8pm or so I feel hungry. What is my function? I normally do not have time (i.e I like to sleep) in the morning for a good paleo breakfast so I skip it (maybe have an HB egg or two) and then go until lunch/dinner. I eat before bed, sometimes more than I want to. I see this as kind of a comforting reward too. I usually have my carbs at the end of the day. So what can I do to regulate my body back to a normal eating pattern. I have eaten 3 meals a day normally before (honestly I do better with 2) but still. I kinda want to feel hunger like all the rest of the world. Could this be maybe a thyroid problem? Eat paleo, try to get organic when can, grass fed beef, tons of canned fish, and eggs. Veggies and fruit. Little nuts. Butter and olive oil and avocado. Cheats include sugar or chocolate, sometimes yogurt. And a Corona with friends over mexican food. I sleep about 7 hours a night. Take ambient, magnesium, birth control, and fish oil. Exercise 3 times a week moderate. Pilates and cycling.
3. Tongue affected by overall toxicity of the body?
Hello Diane and Liz, First off I am completely obsessed with your Podcasts. It’s actually been helping me through a pretty rough time in my life and your humor, frankness and clarity have helped keep me afloat and focus on myself. My questions is strange and moderately gross, so here goes…. For the past couple years I’ve been noticing some strange things going on with my tongue: Weird white coating and enlarged bumps toward the base. I think the bumps have increased in number and size over the past year or two and the white coating waxes and wanes in terms of amount and severity (like the coating increases when I up m sugar intake), sometimes I even feel a strange sensation on my tongue, like a tingling or burning, and it’s gotten to the point in the past where I felt like it severely interfered with my taste buds. From what I’ve read and know, I’m sure the white coating is some sort of detox situation, but I’m not sure about the bumps, there are probably 6-10 back there. They’re not totally painful, perhaps a little tender upon brushing them with my tooth brush. I use a tongue scraper almost daily and have a rather natural self care routine (DIY deodorant, natural toothpaste, and junk-free shampoo and Dr. Bronners soap). I think this issue has something to do with the overall toxicity of my body, but was wondering if you had any knowledge or input on this, especially in regards to the bumps. Speaking of toxicity, I suffer from IBS with constipation leanings. Take probiotics and Vitamin C supplements but struggle with becoming regular.
I’ve got a pretty rocky health back story. Have a history with IBS and acid reflux, off and on acid blockers and habitual use of Tums from age 14-20. The doctors just put me on Zoloft at 14 after they couldn’t figure out the root cause of my stomach pain. Off and on birth control from 15-20 too. Smoked cigaraettes and was a wild child partier, but oh my how times have changed…. I am pretty sure all this madness has lead to some MAJOR hormonal and brain chemistry imbalances that I’m currently struggling with to whip back in shape (It’s been over 2 years since my menstrual cycle, major mood swings, irritability, seriously intense sugar cravings and bouts of depression). Combine that with a year of vegan/raw foodism that eventually led to severe hormonal acne, leaky gut, probable candida, adrenal fatigue and some major emotional food issues. Ugh…What a mess…But the reintroduction of meat has been a good send. I am not %100 paleo, as I am wary not to be too restrictive, my eating disordered past + crazy hormones= Binge Central. I cook paleo foods only for myself but sometimes eat non-paleo foods when eating out. Over the past year my eating habits have been pretty inconsistent, very much on and off the wagon (perfectionism + self destructive tendencies= inconsistency). Also a stress addict, worry wart, self deprecator (I’m working on it!). Exercise includes: Casual walks in the mornings, bike rides, light yoga and weighted hoola hooping (I’m obsessed-you should totally try it)
Current eats: Eggs, Onions, and Fruit for Breakfast (apple, peaches or sometimes a banana). Tuna, Turkey or Chicken for lunch with greens, and Veggies. Chicken, Fish or Sausage, Beef, Lamb for Dinner with greenbeans, artichokes, butternut squash, kale, mushrooms, broccoli, sweet potatoes. Snacks include celery, apples, almond butter, cashew butter, sugar snap peas, chia puddings and coconut flour mug muffins. Addicted to raw sauerkraut and Kombucha. Morning glasses of apple cider vinegar or lemon water.
Woah. Apologies that I just basically cried you a river, I think I just wanted to complain to you about my health problems and hear your hilarious input on my bodily functions. Love you guys
4. I feel like the Willie Wonka blueberry girl/Dolly Parton mutant… Help!
I have been listening to your podcasts during my commute to and from work. I had to buy a note pad to begin writing things down as I listen! It seems that I heard something about estrogen in one of the episodes and can’t find it now. My cycles are regular but about 1-2 weeks before my period begins (closer to two weeks), I begin feeling like I had over night implants put in my breasts. I also get very gassy and looser stools. My period starts and suddenly the balloons in my bra deflate and go back to their normal size. I absolutely hate this. Is this just because I’m 47? I eat strict paleo, rarely any nuts or fruit, am addicted to the Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil, take Progon B as prescribed by my naturopath. I have one Americano a day and that’s in the morning. I’m so excited when my period starts because I know for a short period of time my body will feel normal, dread the two weeks that I feel like th e Willie Wonka blueberry girl/Dolly Parton mutant. I also take a small dose of Armour for my thyroid which I know has corn in it but the symptoms are better on that than when I was on levothyroxine. I tested positive for gluten sensitivity and read every label, eat only whole foods. No dairy, no grain, no paleofyde foods and no legumes. I eat sauerkraut several times a week (because you said so! lol.
5. Following Paleo I am STARVING post Gastric Bypass
1. If everything alive has anti-nutrients then where are the anti-nutrients in veggies? And why aren’t they bothersome?
2. Tell me everything you know about post-op Roux-en-y gastric bypass nutrition. Specifically, how often to be eating, how much, do I need to cook my veggies more, etc.
3. I have always been told that I have to use supplemental protein powders because of my inability to consume large amounts of protein because of my gastric bypass. How much protein do you recommend for a post-op gastric bypass patient, and if I cannot eat enough of these, do you recommend supplementing with a protein powder, and if so, which kind? Why does whey protein not cause allergies? What about brown rice protein? I’m told that the anti-nutrients are gone when it is just the brown rice protein… is this true?
4. Following Paleo I am STARVING — see information below My story: 8 years ago I was 5’9″ tall and weighed 335. I was 29 years old and overweight my entire life. I had a Roux-en-y gastric bypass operation and quickly lost 175lbs. I stayed at 185 for about a year. Got married, gained 20lbs. Then got pregnant, beginning weight 205, end pregnancy weight 270. Lost back down to 215, then pregnant again and end pregnancy weight was 260. I overdid cardio and extreme calorie restriction to get back down to 220lbs, and then got ill from malnutrition (both from the almost vegan eating and the gastric bypass combined), and adrenal fatigue. I had a series of tests done that showed I have way too low cholesterol (125), not enough progesterone, low cortisol in the am and afternoon and rising a tiny bit at 10pm, absolutely zero vitamins and minerals in my blood. My wonderful naturopath suggested weekly iv vitamin therapy, and a change to a paleo diet. I have now eliminated soy, grains, dairy, almost all sugar (tiny bit of cane sugar in m y 1TB coconut coffee creamer 4grams), and am feeling better, but I am STARVING. Hungry all the time. My ND suggested adding in a bit of fruits (1/4 of a peach with a meal), to bring my blood sugar up a bit, to turn off the hunger feeling. That or adding in a very small amount of brown rice, quinoa, etc to help in the transition. I feel full after I eat, but within an hour I am hungry again. Not sure if this is just my body learning to regulate, and I need to be patient, or if I’m doing something wrong. I am not exercising at this time, as I am just too tired. I have 2 little kids 3&5, and I own my own massage business (part time) and teach A&P at a local massage college. I am doing meditation 3-5 times a week, and am working hard on the self care. I sleep from about 10pm-7am daily, although I must wake 3-4times a nite to pee, put a kid back to bed, roll over, etc.
I’d say I’m 100% paleo for the last 2 weeks.
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, 1 applegate turkey sausage link, 1 pumpkin pancake (from Diane’s book, thank you Diane!).
Snack: 2 hrs later – Apple with 2 TB almond butter Lunch – salad with 4-6oz meat and oil/vinegar mix – 1/4 – 1/2 of a peach or nectarine.
Snack 2 hours later: Coconut wrap with 1/2 can tuna mixed with coconut oil and pickles.
Dinner – 4-6 oz roasted chicken with small sweet potato and small green salad.
Then I’m starving at night, trying to keep myself from eating everything in the house. I’ve lost 10 lbs in the last 2 weeks, which is great, but I’m having a hard time keeping up being this hungry. I just cannot eat anymore at meal times, as I feel stuffed and I don’t want to feel sick from eating too much. And I can’t see eating anymore than every 2 hours. I have to stop drinking liquid 1/2 hr before I begin eating, then eat, then wait 1/2 hour to begin liquids again, and so basically I have 1/2 hour to get down as much liquid as I can to only then stop, because in 1/2 hour I’m going to need to eat again. Apparently we post-ops cannot drink with our meals because it washes the food out of our pouch to quickly. What a mess. I’m discouraged and scared. Where to start?
Diane & Liz
Print This Post