Homemade Ketchup Recipe – *21DSD, no sweetener-added
This recipe is from my new book, The 21-Day Sugar Detox.
I know that ketchup is one of those condiments that is an all-time favorite for most of us, and rightfully so! This tangy tomato topper features a concentrated sweet and savory taste. The problem is, all ketchup you find that’s made commercially has added sweetener, and that’s a no-go on The 21-Day Sugar Detox. I wanted to give everyone on the 21DSD program – as well as anyone interested in healthier condiments that are real-food based and Paleo friendly – a great option. Not only is this Paleo ketchup recipe sugar and sweetener-free, but it’s super simple to make since it’s a slow-cooker recipe. Enjoy!
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • egg-free • nut-free • sweetener-free • 21DSD
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 4 hours
YIELD: ~ 2 cups
NUTRITION INFO: coming soon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 green/granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches of cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 oz tomato paste
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and stir to combine. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly and then place into a food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth.
Note: When blending or processing warm foods, do not over-fill the container as the heat will cause the contents to expand and they may splatter out.
- Once blended, place the ketchup into glass containers and allow it to come to room temperature before refrigerating.
- The ketchup should last for several weeks or more in the refrigerator. If you notice a change in color, smell, or any mold growth, toss it and make new batch.
- The texture is very much like store-bought ketchups and you’ll find a little bit of separation when it sits for a while, so a shake or a stir in the jar will combine it back together perfectly.
Yes, you can enjoy this recipe while on The 21-Day Sugar Detox (Click for the online version of The 21-Day Sugar Detox program).
Special thanks to Tonja of Flame to Fork for helping me to develop this recipe!
Notice: Theme without comments.php is deprecated since version 3.0 with no alternative available. Please include a comments.php template in your theme. in /var/www/vhosts/balancedbites.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3260
Leave a Reply