Now these are tomatoes!
I grew up not enjoying the flavor of tomatoes other than in ketchup or tomato sauce. I had only ever tasted a conventional, large, light-ish red in color tomato. I always thought they were slimy and sort of flavorless when they were raw and sliced up. Even in a tomato salad, the flavor and texture of tomatoes not only didn’t appeal to me, but it sort of repulsed me.
Wow, I feel completely differently about THESE tomatoes. These are Dirty Girl Produce’s dry farmed, Early Girl tomatoes. Can you see the color of them?! I don’t think this photo does them justice (dang my little point and shoot camera!). They’re each only about 1 1/2 – 2″ in diameter. They’re pretty tiny.
Today I made a quick salad of a couple of these little babies. Here’s what I made. It was delicious!
Early Girl Tomato & Avocado Salad
Yield: Approximately 1 serving.
Click here for estimated nutrition facts.
- 2 Early Girl Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 an Avocado, diced into 1″ pieces
- 1 wedge of lemon
- 1 sprig of cilantro, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Celtic/Sea Salt (Redmond’s Real Salt is my favorite!), to taste
- Combine tomatoes, avocado and cilantro in a small bowl. Squeeze lemon wedge over the mixture, drizzle olve oil and sprinkle with a touch of salt. Toss all ingredients once more and enjoy!
- Try this with basil instead of cilantro
- Toss this over mixed greens or spinach for a larger salad/meal
- Serve this salad over a piece of grilled fish or chicken
- Chop the ingredients up smaller and you’re on your way to salsa!