I am not a baker. In fact, I think I'm pretty awful at baking. The measuring and precision involved can really send me over the edge. As a creative-type, I like to make “recipes” and I like to be able to throw in a little of this and a little of that. You can't really do that with baking. I mean, you can, sort of. But not really.
These are tasty little muffins with a dense consistency, almost like biscuits. Mine turned out a bit more yellow in color since I used some fantastic Marin Sun Farms pastured eggs in the recipe. I love these little golden bites with a slather of extra grass-fed butter or ghee and some sea salt & cinnamon on top.
(use all organic ingredients when possible)
Yield: Approximately 12 servings.
Click here for estimated nutrition facts.
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
This recipe makes 12 conservatively sized muffins.
Use these muffin tin liners, you will thank me.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Your muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups. Trust me, you want the parchment ones – nothing sticks to them, and coconut flour baked goods WILL STICK otherwise.
Whisk eggs and mix in melted coconut oil or butter.
Sift in coconut flour, baking powder & salt until blended.
Fill the lined muffin tins about halfway. The batter will be thick so just eyeball it.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the muffins are set and edges begin to become golden brown.
- To make an almond muffin (pictured above) stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp almond extract and 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- To make these even more “coconutty,” add 2 Tbsp shredded coconut.
- To make these more of a sweet muffin, add a dash of vanilla and 1/4c of raw honey or organic, grade b pure maple syrup if you'd like.
- To make these more of a savory muffin, add another dash of salt and 1Tbsp of dried (2 Tbsp if fresh) rosemary.
- I haven't tried these as mini muffins yet, but drop them into a mini tin for a change of pace!