This recipe is a great one to try with ingredients you have on-hand. I have made it with some variations already, I'll note them below.
Yield: Approximately 2 servings.
Click here for estimated nutrition facts.
1 bunch of kale
1-2 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp lemon juice (sometimes I use more or less, depending on my mood)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
(NOTE: you want to add up to about 2-3 Tbsp of acid – any combination of vinegar/citrus you like)
1 clove of garlic, pressed
Celtic/Sea Salt (Redmond's Real Salt is my favorite!), to taste
Pepper, to taste
1 tsp raw honey (optional! use regular organic if you don't have raw), to taste
- Remove kale from it's stalks by gripping the end of the stalk and pulling the leaves off- this is the easiest way I've found to remove the stalk/ribs
- Roughly chop the kale and squeeze it tightly in your hands to “bruise” it (this breaks down the leaves a bit and makes them softer and easier to chew). Place aside in a large bowl.
- Combine tahini, lemon juice, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper and honey with a whisk in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the kale mixture and toss with tongs or your hands.
- Serve immediately or store in a container in the fridge. The salad will continue to marinate, break down the kale a bit and intensify in flavor as it sits. Eat it within a day or 2.
In the photo posted, I have added some carrots and topped with sliced avocado. I have also made this salad with shredded zucchini, shredded apple and shredded carrot in it. Try any other raw veggies you like!