I first made this recipe as part of the content development for my original The 21-Day Sugar Detox program manual back in early 2010. Wow, time flies! I have updated the guides many times since then, but this recipe and (ahem) the photos, were a bit behind-the-times.
So, just in time for the biggest group of 21DSDers ever launching January 1, 2013…
Here’s a fresh take on a delicious way to make applesauce that’ll surprise your taste buds with its tartness but delight you with it’s creamy texture. Enjoy!
tart & creamy applesauce
grain-free • gluten-free • sugar-free • nut-free • nightshade-free • 21DSD
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
YIELD: 8 servings
NUTRITION INFO: coming soon
- 8 green apples, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 2 lemons, juice & zest
- In an enameled cast iron or stainless steel pot over medium heat simmer the apples, lemon juice, lemon zest and butter together until the fruit is soft – approx 15-20 minutes.
- Mash or puree the apples to whatever texture you like, or leave it chunky.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. It will solidify a bit as it cools.
make it awesome:
- Top with chopped walnuts or almonds for crunch and some added protein and fat.
- Serve over chicken or pork or enjoy as a snack.
Yes, you can enjoy this recipe while on the 21-Day Sugar Detox.