So, you’ve got your real foods or Paleo-based nutrition program dialed in but still aren’t seeing the healthy digestion results you hoped for? Oftentimes, past clients who came to me with specific health concerns (even those on a Paleo diet), were so familiar living with a bloating, gas, and indigestion – they didn’t recognize that they had digestive problems unless these symptoms were accompanied by stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation, or acid reflux. What they didn’t realize- until I addressed it-is that their lifestyle and un-recognized digestive problems were very likely keeping them from reaching their goals.
My goal is to empower you with practical tools to help you dial in your real foods or Paleo nutrition program and improve your digestive health so you can be on your way to optimal health.
I can’t stress enough how critical it is to make digestive health a priority. Chronic digestive problems often leads to intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Leaky gut is when what is supposed to be eliminated (yes, your poop) gets into your body, which then mounts an immune response leading to inflammation.
Know this: 60-80% of your immune system is in your gut -so improving digestion is the first step to calming inflammation in the body.
It’s important for you to know, that besides obvious digestive issues like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease, or ulcerative colitis – digestive problems present themselves in all sorts of symptoms – candida, food intolerance, skin issues, asthma, other chronic inflammatory conditions such as:
- Anxiety & Depression
- Arthritis & Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Bone Diseases
- Heart Disease
- Hormonal Imbalances & Fertility
- Thyroid Disorders
- Weight Gain and Weight Loss
Any of these look familiar? It may seem daunting at first but, don’t worry, I’ve already provided you with enough free tools to help you get started with improving and optimizing your digestive health: my useful guides, articles, and the Balanced Bites podcast. In my book, Practical Paleo, I teach you about the digestive system, how to fix it including meal plans, lifestyle changes and supplement recommendations.
You’ve got this!
Troubleshooting Your Digestive Issues, my 4-part series:
Signs & Symptoms of Digestive Upset (part 1)
How to Improve Overall Digestion Function (part 2)
Specific Recommendations for Constipation & Diarrhea (part 3)
Tips for Common Digestive Issues in Pregnancy (part 4)
FAQs: How can I eat Paleo without a gallbladder?
Why you want more stomach acid, not less
Is Your Gut Leaky?
Your Stomach Acid is a Good Thing. Really
- Stomach pains and bathroom use even though I haven’t eaten all day? Episode #91 Question 3 [39:22]
- No regular BM’s ever? Episode #91 Question 4 [49:26]
- Messy eliminations? Episode #38 Question 3 [29:15]
- HCl supplements, mucus and hard stool? Episode #38 Question 4 [38:18]
- Menstrual issues, excessive hunger & bathroom issues. Episode #31 Question 6 [55:34]
- A link between menstrual periods and constipation? Episode #91 Question 1 [17:28]
- Chronic Constipation? Episode #91 Question 2 [31:49]
- Hereditary constipation Episode #74 Question 4 [31:30]
- From backed up to too loose? Episode #38 Question 1 [4:09]
- Prebiotic’s & FODMAP concerns Episode #74 Question 7 [48:30]
- FODMAPS, SCD and GAPS, oh my! Episode #57 Question 6 [50:29]
- Digestive issues: FODMAP intolerance? Solutions? Episode #37 Question [37:31]
- FODMAPs? Episode #8 Question 2
Gut Healing and Function
- Gut healing Episode #63 Question 5 [47:20]
- I don’t have a gallbladder, do I need to do something differently? Episode #54 Question 6 [35:59]
- Digestion 4 months into Paleo: Stress & gut function? Episode #37 Question [47:52]
- Digestive function – normal and abnormal, signs and symptoms? Episode #8 Question 1
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)? Episode #8 Question 3
- Gut pathogens? Episode #8 Question 4
- Maintaining healthy gut flora? Episode #8 Question 5
- The best nutritional approaches for gut healing? Episode #8 Question 6
- What is leaky gut and how do you heal from it? Episode #68 Question 1 [11:05]
- Leaky gut, FODMAPs/ 4a. HCl & enzymes for healing leaky gut? Episode #9 Question 4 [40:15]
Other Digestive Issues
- Clarifying super foods and goitrogenic foods recommendations. Episode #70 Question 2 [15:50]
- Can’t eat fermented food Episode #65 Question 4 [31:00]
- Sardines Episode #60, Question 2 [19:26]
- FCLO and When to eat fermented foods Episode #60, Question 4 [32:03]
- Probiotic foods options Episode #58 Question 5 [54:08]
- Vitamin A toxicity and fermented cod liver oil. Episode #55 Question 4[38:33]
- Why do you recommend FCLO and not regular CLO or fish oil? Episode #54 Question 10 [53:19]
- Apple Cider Vinegar, Kombucha? Episode #52 Question 6 [37:35]
- What types of probiotic supplements do you recommend? Episode #31 Question 1[13:30]
- Trouble with bowel movements; probiotics? Episode #31 Question 4 [30:02]
- Kombucha and brewer’s yeast? Episode #20 Question 3 [26:09]