- 8 Siete Foods coconut cassava tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese use any kind you like, we use goat cheddar from Trader Joe's
- 1 pound Instant Pot Chicken
- 1 cup Easy Enchilada Sauce
- cilantro and/or green onions optional, for garnish
For the Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 tbsp Balanced Bites TEX MEX Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp Balanced Bites TACO & FAJITA Spice Blend
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
Easy Enchilada Sauce
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 2 tbsp Balanced Bites TACO & FAJITA Spice Blend
- 1/2 tbsp Balanced Bites SMOKY Spice Blend *see note
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cans tomato paste 6 ounces each
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. For the Chicken Place all ingredients into your Instant Pot, stirring to combine/well-coat the chicken with the spices.
Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes and either manually release the pressure (to save time), or let it release on its own time.
Shred the chicken in the liquid when it is finished.
While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce.
For the Enchilada Sauce
Warm the oil in a medium sauce pot over medium heat, then place the spices and garlic into the oil for 3 minutes, stirring to keep the garlic and spices from burning.
Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot and whisk to combine. Taste and add more salt or more spices to your preference.
Simmer over medium low heat until the flavors are well combined.
Note: if you don’t use full fat coconut milk, you may need less water, possibly only a cup.
Assemble the Enchiladas
Warm the tortillas to soften them and make them pliable. For the Siete Foods Coconut Cassava tortillas, I like to heat them carefully over an open gas flame. If you are comfortable doing this it works great and you can do this while the enchilada sauce simmers. I recommend using two burners at once for efficiency, or 3 at once if you're really good! If this is too intimidating, you can warm the tortillas any way you like according to instructions on the package.
Prepare a large baking or casserole dish by spreading about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce along the bottom.
Fill each tortilla with just a light sprinkle of the cheese, then add about 2 ounces of the chicken. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down into the pan.
Pour about 1 cup of the enchilada sauce (or as much or as little as you like) over the rolls, then top with cheese. Add an extra sprinkle of TACO & FAJITA blend on top before baking if you like.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Top with cilantro and/or green onions and serve hot.
This makes 4 servings of 2 enchiladas each.
Since SMOKY blend has been discontinued, if you do not own this blend or Diane's cookbooks that include this spice blend recipe, you can use the following spices instead:
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- pinch of cinnamon