I wanted a breakfast made only from whole ingredients, yet still felt like a treat—the result was Apple Streusel Egg Muffins. You can easily make a savory version of egg muffins by using the recipe and ingredients for my Swirly Crustless Quiche and baking them as noted here.
- 3 large green apples, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (approximately 2 cups) – peeled if you like
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil (to make it dairy-free), melted
- 9 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a medium skillet, sautée the apples, water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, and butter or coconut oil until the apples are the consistency of chunky applesauce or apple pie filling. Allow the mixture to cool before combining with the egg mixture.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, coconut milk, coconut flour, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Add the cooled apples, reserving 1/4 cup for a garnish.
Spoon egg and apple mixture into parchment cup lined muffin tins—1/4 cup each. Gently spoon about one teaspoon of the remaining apple mixture onto the top of each muffin.
Bake for 40 minutes.
change it up:
- Substitute lightly cooked pears or bananas instead of apples.
- Add 1/4 cup of chopped nuts or coconut for texture and healthy fats.
For more sweetness, add a couple of chopped, dried medjool dates to the apples as they cook.
Make this recipe with 2-4 chopped bananas instead of apples!