This Mexican Chicken & Avocado Soup is a perfect answer to the chilly fall nights and comes together very quickly using chicken you’ve already cooked.
Featuring Balanced Bites TEX MEX spice blend, this soup is easy to make and full of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon ghee butter, coconut oil, or bacon fat
- 4 stalks celery finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion finely diced
- 4 carrots finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic grated or minced
- 3 tablespoons TEX MEX Spice Blend
- 2 quarts 64 ounces chicken bone broth (homemade preferably)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin for nightshade-free, pictured or 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded cooked chicken or 8 servings Slow-Cooked Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 avocados sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Coarse sea salt and coarsely cracked black pepper
Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, and carrots and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, broth, and pumpkin and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Heat briefly, just to warm the chicken, then taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with avocado slices, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and some coarse salt and cracked pepper.
If you do not have TEX MEX blend, you can use 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1 tablespoon of coriander, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper.
Omit the onion and garlic and the avocado garnish.
SPICE BLEND SWAP
Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of TACO & FAJITA Spice Blend
Freeze the soup without the avocado added.
I highly recommend that you use homemade chicken broth for this recipe. Not only will it provide more nutrition than the store-bought variety, but it will also impart maximum flavor. Be sure to adjust the amount of salt that you add according to how salty your broth is and taste the soup o en to adjust.