This Umami Steak and Arugula Salad features the easiest and best marinade you’ll ever make for steak!
Diane's umami steak flavor combination works with nearly any protein, and the flavor infuses quickly, in an hour if that’s all you have. Don’t skip this simple recipe—it will quickly become your go-to way to prepare steak.
- 2 pounds rib eye, hanger steak, or skirt steak
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon TRIFECTA Spice Blend
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces blue cheese, goat cheese, or feta (optional)
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Coarse sea salt for garnish
- 2/3 cup extra−virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon gluten−free Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
Marinate the steak: In a large baking dish, coat the steak evenly in the coconut aminos and the spice blend. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 4 hours.
When you’re ready to grill the steak, preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat. Cook the steak for 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness and desired level of doneness. Set the cooked steak aside to rest for 10 minutes, then slice it against the grain into thin strips.
While the steak is resting, make the dressing. Place all of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper, in a blender and blend on low for 10 to 20 seconds. You can also whisk the ingredients together, but the dressing will not be as smooth.
Assemble the rest of the ingredients in large bowls for the salad.
Add the sliced steak on top of the salad and serve while the steak is still warm. Garnish with coarse sea salt.
Omit the cheese.
To pack in even more nutrition without more carbs, add microgreens to this salad! I recommend about 1/4 cup per person.