This recipe comes together very quickly if you make the components ahead of time during a meal prep day. Allot 15 minutes prep time to make the pulled pork, spicy slaw, and marinated onions, and 6 to 8 hours in the slow cooker for the pork and to marinate the onions.
This recipe makes a ton of slow-cooked pork, so I'd suggest freezing half so you have another meal ready to go!
SMOKY BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos
- 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 2 tablespoons SMOKY blend
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 10 cloves garlic peeled
- Romaine lettuce leaves or small butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup Spicy Slaw recipe below
- 1/2 cup Marinated Onions recipe below
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Ranch Dressing recipe below, for serving
- Season the pork shoulder liberally with the spice blend on all sides.
- Place the meat, broth, and garlic cloves in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and reserve any remaining liquid. Allow it to cool slightly, then shred it with two forks.
- Taste the shredded meat and spoon more of the reserved liquid over it if needed for additional flavor.
- If needed, warm the slow cooker pork in a skillet over medium-low heat before assembling the tacos.
- Assemble the tacos: Using one lettuce leaf per taco, layer on the warmed pork, slaw, marinated onions, and cilantro. Serve with ranch dressing on the side.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- A few pinches of sea salt
- A few pinches of ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce bag coleslaw mix (or an equivalent amount of shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 jalapeño pepper sliced, seeded if desired for less heat
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and whisk until combined.
- Add the slaw mix and jalapeño and toss until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Balanced Bites spice blend of choice
- 2 medium red onions cut in 1/4−inch−thick half moons
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the vinegar, salt, and spices. Add the onions, stir to coat well, cover, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- The onions will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
- 3/4 cup full−fat sour cream
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 tbsps RANCH Blend
- 2 tbsps EVOO
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped fresh chives optional
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until well mixed.
Use two lettuce leaves per taco for less- messy tacos
If you loved this recipe, you have to try:
For more recipe ideas and recipes that use Balanced Bites Spices, head to our recipes index page here.