I don't know how I never made these Easy Chicken Enchiladas until this past year. What rock have I been living under to have not made enchiladas before?!
Tacos, fajitas, rice bowls? We're on it, but enchiladas somehow didn't make it into our rotation until now.
A while ago, I developed an Enchilada Sauce recipe because I wasn't able to find a clean-ingredient option the grocery store. I was making an enchilada bake for a bit, which inspired the recipe for our latest Balanced Bites Meals menu update, but I just hadn't made fully legit chicken enchiladas until now.
I recently received a sample of a pre-made enchilada sauce from Siete Foods that I loved, so you can definitely use that one if you want a shortcut!
But this Enchilada Sauce Recipe is really easy and you probably have the ingredients on-hand, especially if you have a spice rack loaded with Balanced Bite Spices!
I don't think I realized how easy it is to make enchilada sauce, but when I got into the kitchen to do it, it came together quickly with ingredients we almost always have on-hand. Between this sauce and the chicken, you can make both so easily if you stock Balanced Bites Spices regularly. This recipe features our TEX MEX and TACO & FAJITA blends.
All you'll need to grab fresh at the store will be tortillas and cheese (assuming you have the chicken), and the rest of the required ingredients are pantry staples!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot
- 8 Siete Foods coconut cassava tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese use any kind you like, we use goat cheddar from Trader Joe's
- 1 pound Instant Pot Chicken
- 1 cup Easy Enchilada Sauce
- cilantro and/or green onions optional, for garnish
For the Chicken
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
For the Chicken
- Place all ingredients into your Instant Pot, stirring to combine/well-coat the chicken with the spices.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes and either manually release the pressure (to save time), or let it release on its own time.
- Shred the chicken in the liquid when it is finished.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce.
For the Enchilada Sauce
- Warm the oil in a medium sauce pot over medium heat, then place the spices and garlic into the oil for 3 minutes, stirring to keep the garlic and spices from burning.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot and whisk to combine. Taste and add more salt or more spices to your preference.
- Simmer over medium low heat until the flavors are well combined.Note: if you don’t use full fat coconut milk, you may need less water, possibly only a cup.
Assemble the Enchiladas
- Warm the tortillas to soften them and make them pliable. For the Siete Foods Coconut Cassava tortillas, I like to heat them carefully over an open gas flame. If you are comfortable doing this it works great and you can do this while the enchilada sauce simmers. I recommend using two burners at once for efficiency, or 3 at once if you're really good! If this is too intimidating, you can warm the tortillas any way you like according to instructions on the package.
- Prepare a large baking or casserole dish by spreading about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce along the bottom.
- Fill each tortilla with just a light sprinkle of the cheese, then add about 2 ounces of the chicken. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down into the pan.
- Pour about 1 cup of the enchilada sauce (or as much or as little as you like) over the rolls, then top with cheese. Add an extra sprinkle of TACO & FAJITA blend on top before baking if you like.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with cilantro and/or green onions and serve hot.
- This makes 4 servings of 2 enchiladas each.
After you make this Easy Chicken Enchiladas recipe (or even if you just make the Enchilada Sauce recipe), be sure you comment below and post about it (and tag Balanced Bites & I!) on Instagram @balancedbites & @dianesanfilppo – I want to hear what you think!
For more recipe ideas, head to our recipes index page here.