Diane's Magic Green Sauce
This green sauce can be a base for a creamy sauce when mixed with a Paleo mayo, a marinade or salad dressing when mixed with citrus and some extra virgin olive oil, or used straight up.
grain-free • gluten-free • egg-free • nut-free • seed-free • 21DSD
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45-60 minutes
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 sweet bell pepper (preferably yellow)
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper
- 6 green onions (white ends cut off)
- 1/4 cup or a large handful of chives (equivalent or 1 standard clamshell pack)
- 1/2 cup or a 1/2 a large bunch of cilantro leaves and stems (equivalent to about 1/2 of bunch sold unpackaged at a grocery store, or 3-4 standard clamshell packs)
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of 2-3 piece of citrus – lemon or lime or mix
Roast all of the peppers in a 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until the skins blacken on all sides, turning once halfway through.
(Optional) Place the peppers into a bowl and cover with a lid or plastic wrap to allow the skins to loosen from the steam. Remove the skins from the peppers. I’ve made the sauce both with and without the skins and it turns out almost the same either way. For a spicy sauce, leave the seeds and ribs (white portion) in the hot pepper you use, for a milder sauce, slice the ribs out of the hot pepper and discard the seeds. Take care not to touch your eyes or mouth after handling the hot pepper.
Place the peppers and all of the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth. Taste along the way to add salt and pepper to your preference.
*For a creamy version, mix the Magic Green Sauce 50/50 with Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise (or other Paleo friendly mayo of your choice). This version with the mayonnaise added is not egg-free.
Yes, you can enjoy this recipe on The 21-Day Sugar Detox.