This recipe is a great choice to enjoy while on The 21-Day Sugar Detox.
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • nut-free • sugar-free • sweetener-free • 21DSD
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-35 minutes
YIELD: 3-4 servings
NUTRITION INFO: coming soon
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, lard, coconut oil or other cooking fat (I used strips of lardo that I diced and rendered down)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 18oz diced tomatoes (I like Jovial or Bionature brand)
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh or dried, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the bacon fat and cook the onions until they are translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the garlic and stir in to cook for an additional 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Stir to combine and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer together for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the basil and oregano and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over zucchini noodles (pictured) and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil for added flavor and richness.
- pour over steamed or lightly sautéed zucchini squash noodles (pictured) – I use this spiralizer tool to make mine
- top zucchini noodles and sauce with grilled chicken or meatballs
- mix some of the sauce into ground meat to make a meat loaf
Yes, you can enjoy this recipe while on The 21-Day Sugar Detox.
If you like this, you may also enjoy my Spaghetti Squash Bolognese recipe.
I recorded a video while I was making this recipe last night, click here to watch the video!
Here are some other fantastic recipes for pasta replacements when you’re on a gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo or Primal type of diet from a few of my favorite bloggers:
From The Food Lovers Primal Palate:
From Against All Grain:
From Nom Nom Paleo:
From Grass Fed Girl:
From Civilized Caveman Cooking:
Note: I earn a small commission if you use the links in this post to purchase the products mentioned. I only recommend products I would use myself or that I recommend for clients in my practice or at workshops. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you real information about nutrition and health.