Egg-free breakfasts can seem challenging at first, but it’s quite simple when you break it down and realize that tons of breakfast-friendly foods work great together in a quick meal like this Home Fries & Sausage Skillet! Whether you simply want to change things up or you have an egg allergy or sensitivity, give this Home Fries & Sausage Skillet breakfast a try—it’s hearty and satisfying.
Omit the garnish of red pepper flakes and use sweet potatoes, parsnips, or turnips instead of white potatoes.
Omit the onion and garlic from the spice blends.
When using potatoes in a breakfast recipe, your best bet is to precook them ahead of time (at least the night before) by boiling them until fork-tender. Keep the cooked potatoes stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cut and brown them.
Home Fries & Sausage Skillet
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon ITALIAN Blend
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes par-boiled and diced
- 2 tablespoons DINER Blend
FOR GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
- Red pepper flakes
- Coarse sea salt
- Chopped fresh chives
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pork, season with the ITALIAN blend, and stir to incorporate. Cook the meat for 5 minutes, stirring to break it up with a spatula as it cooks, then add the kale. Continue cooking for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the kale begins to wilt and the meat is cooked through. Remove the pork and kale from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt the cooking fat in the skillet, still over medium heat, then add the potatoes and DINER blend, gently stirring to coat the potatoes with the fat and spices. Spread the potatoes into an even layer and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, until they start to brown. Stir midway through cooking so they don’t stick. If they do start to stick, add a little more cooking fat to the pan.
- Return the meat and kale to the pan, then garnish with red pepper flakes, coarse sea salt, and chives, if desired.