My husband, Scott, and I often have lunch dates at a local spot here in San Francisco where they serve a salad very similar to this Italiano Salad, and it’s always my favorite. I’ve re-created it here for you, but if you’re ever in town, stop by the Blue Barn to try the inspiration for this one!
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- 4 small russet potatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon melted ghee
- 8 cups arugula or other dark leafy lettuce mix
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and grilled, then cubed
- 1 cup halved artichoke hearts
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or SUPER GARLIC RANCH mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup ITALIAN Dressing recipe below
- Have two oven racks evenly spaced in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the onion slices with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar until evenly coated. Season with a few pinches of salt and spread out on one of the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the onions are translucent and browned, turning once halfway through. When done, remove from the oven and set aside.
- After the onions have been in the oven for about 15 minutes, toss the potatoes with the ghee and season with a few pinches of salt. Spread the potatoes out on the other prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until they start to turn golden brown. After about 25 minutes, check the potatoes to make sure that they are not burning and turn them once. Set aside.
- To serve, arrange the arugula in a large serving bowl and top with the potatoes, chicken, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and roasted onions. Toss or top with the dressing before serving.
Omit the pine nuts.
Omit the sun-dried tomatoes from the salad.
Omit the artichokes and onion. Limit the sun-dried tomatoes or use fresh tomatoes instead.
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ITALIAN blend
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend on low for 10 to 20 seconds. You can also whisk the ingredients, but the texture of the dressing will not be as smooth. Taste the dressing and adjust the seasoning to your liking with salt, pepper, or more oil or vinegar/citrus juice.
- Store the dressing in an airtight glass container or bottle in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Other salad recipes you might enjoy:
For more recipe ideas and recipes that use Balanced Bites Spices, head to our recipes index page here.