This Mexican Chicken & Avocado Soup is a perfect answer to the chill and comes together very quickly using chicken you’ve already cooked.
Soup is a comfort food that we enjoy year-round in San Francisco. You never know when you’ll be faced with a foggy, chilly day, whether summer or fall!
o make this simple Mexican Chicken & Avocado Soup, you can use my Slow-Cooked Salsa Verde Chicken or any other appropriately seasoned, shredded cooked chicken you have on hand. This recipe calls for Balanced Bites Tex Mex blend, which you can shop here!
This Mexican Chicken & Avocado Soup recipe is paleo, keto-friendly & is also 21-Day Sugar Detox friendly! So enjoy it on your #21DSD!
Mexican Chicken & Avocado Soup
- 1 tablespoon ghee butter, coconut oil, or bacon fat
- 4 stalks celery finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion finely diced
- 4 carrots finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic grated or minced
- 3 tablespoons TEX MEX blend
- 2 quarts 64 ounces chicken bone broth (homemade preferably)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin for nightshade-free, pictured or 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded cooked chicken or 8 servings Slow-Cooked Salsa Verde Chicken (linked above)
- FOR GARNISH
- 2 avocados sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Coarse sea salt and coarsely cracked black pepper
- Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, and carrots and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, broth, and pumpkin and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Heat briefly, just to warm the chicken, then taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with avocado slices, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and some coarse salt and cracked pepper.
Omit the onion and garlic and the avocado garnish.
SPICE BLEND SWAP
Use 2 to 3 tablespoons of TACO & FAJITA Balanced Bites Spices blend
Freeze the soup without the avocado added.
I highly recommend that you use homemade chicken broth for this recipe. Not only will it provide more nutrition than the store-bought variety, but it will also impart maximum flavor. Be sure to adjust the amount of salt that you add according to how salty your broth is and taste the soup o en to adjust.
Other Soup Recipes You Might Enjoy:
For more recipe ideas and recipes that use Balanced Bites Spices, head to our recipes index page here.