In this recipe for Mini Mediterranean Kebabs, the bold flavors of Mediterranean food are paired with a cooling tzatziki sauce. Featuring Balanced Bites GREEK spice blend, the savory flavors contrast nicely with the bright, creamy sauce—it’s an amazing combination.
This easy appetizer recipe is perfect to bring to a party or can be made without the cocktail sticks for an easy weeknight dinner.
Mini Mediterranean Kebabs (Kofta)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 1/2 tablespoons GREEK blend
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 small yellow onion minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 pounds ground beef, lamb, or turkey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (if using lean meat)
- 1 recipe Dairy-Free Tzatziki (Avoziki - see below)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Torn fresh basil leaves
- Torn fresh cilantro leaves
- Torn fresh mint leaves
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then place a wire baking rack on top of it.
- Make the kofta: In a large mixing bowl, combine the herbs, spices, salt, lemon zest, and onion. Add the meat and mix to thoroughly combine it with the seasonings. If you are using a leaner cut of meat (such as lean ground beef or ground turkey breast), add the tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture at this point. Form the meat into 18 kofta (oblong) shapes, about 1 1/2 ounces each, and insert an extra-large wooden cocktail stick into each one. Alternatively, make smaller meatballs for use with toothpicks or without sticks entirely to save a step.
- Place the kofta on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- While the kofta are baking, combine the ingredients for the sauce, adding enough coconut milk to make a thick dipping sauce.
- Garnish the kofta with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with the dipping sauce.
18 extra-large wooden cocktail sticks or small skewers (if using wood skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using)
Omit the paprika.
Freeze the cooked and seasoned meat and defrost it to enjoy when you’re ready.
Dairy-Free Tzatziki (Avoziki)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup peeled and grated cucumber
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1 small clove garlic grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small food processor or with a hand blender.
Other appetizers you might enjoy:
- How to Build an Epic Gluten-Free Cheeseboard
- Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
- Meatballs with Tangy Cilantro Chive Sauce
For more recipe ideas and recipes that use Balanced Bites Spices, head to our recipes index page here.