Instead of store-bought salsa (which often features hidden sugar and additives), mix up a batch of this fresh pico de gallo. It's quick and easy to make and a fraction of the cost of store-bought pico de gallo.
I call photos like the ones below, #beforethestir. I think a bowl full of fresh ingredients like this show so much amazing potential and beauty, and then once stirred, they are no longer simply ingredients. They are transformed. In this case, into pico de gallo. Which essentially means we're having tacos. On repeat.
Fresh pico is one of my favorite things to make with Roma tomatoes (you can also make a nightshade-free version using mango, pineapple, or cucumber if you want!).
Pico de Gallo
Many store-bought salsas contain added sugar or other ingredients you don’t need or want. While you can often find fresh pico de gallo that’s healthy, salsa is very quick and easy to make at a fraction of the cost! Using a food processor will yield a smoother texture than pictured, but it is faster than chopping by hand!
Servings: 3 cups
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro stems and leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 8 roma tomatoes or other small to medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper minced, seeded if desired for less heat (optional)
- Juice of 1 to 2 limes
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Toss together all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Alternatively, place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the desired consistency is reached.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other dips and garnishes you might enjoy:
For more recipe ideas and recipes that use Balanced Bites Spices, head to our recipes index page here.