I think we could all benefit from a little comfort right now, and I can't think of anything more comforting than a homemade roast chicken. In this recipe for the best roast chicken, I like to use SAVORY, GREEK, or TEX MEX spice blends, but really any of my Balanced Bites Spices will work here.
The Best Roast Chicken
- 3 tbsp SAVORY, GREEK or TEX MEX Blend
- 2 tbsp EVOO plus more for brushing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 whole chicken ~ 3 1/2 to 4 lbs
- 2 or 3 generous pinches of sea salt
- 2 tbsp cooking fat of choice
- In a small bowl, combine the spice blend, olive oil, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Spatchcock (split) the chicken: Remove any organs (sometimes found in a paper or plastic wrapping) from the inside of the chicken. Place the whole chicken breast side down on a large cutting board. Using kitchen shears or a large, sharp knife, cut along one side of the backbone, then turn the chicken around and cut down the other side. Remove the backbone, then flip the chicken over and firmly press down on the breastbone to flatten.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan and season generously on both sides with the sea salt. Next, coat both sides of the chicken evenly with the oil mixture. Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight in refrigerator (overnight is recommended).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Brush the hot grill or grill pan with the cooking fat, then sear the chicken skin side down for 8 to 10 minutes, until the skin is charred.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean roasting pan, skin side up, and put in the oven for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. (Test the temperature by inserting the thermometer into a meaty part of the leg, avoiding the bone.)
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Brush it liberally with olive oil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving
View this post on Instagram
FULL RECIPE (tap the link via the IGTV caption view): https://balancedbites.com/content/the-best-roast-chicken/ I think we could all benefit from a little comfort right now, and I can't think of anything more comforting than a homemade roast chicken. In this recipe for the best roast chicken, I like to use GREEK, SAVORY, or TEX MEX spice blends, but really any of my Balanced Bites Spices will work here. THE BEST TASTING CHICKEN Prep Time: 1 hr 15 mins Cook Time: 1 hr 10 mins Servings: 6 3 tbsp GREEK Blend (or spice blend of choice) 2 tbsp EVOO, plus more for brushing Juice of 1 lemon 1 whole chicken (~ 3 1/2 to 4 lbs) 2 or 3 generous pinches of sea salt 2 tbsp cooking fat of choice . #roastchicken #dinner #instagood #homemade #goodeats #igfood #foodstagram #foodbloggers #instayum #cleaneating #homecooking #foodlove #eathealthy #eatwell #goodeats #instafood #eattherainbow #eatrealfood #comfortfood #wholesomefoods #thebestroastchicken #balancedbites