Stitch Fix is an online personal stylist service for women that I have absolutely fallen in love with.
(If your guy wants to check out a similar service, Bombfell is a great one my man has been loving.)
How it works:
Based on a detailed style profile you complete online, every month (or more/less often, if you choose) a personal stylist from the SF team will hook you up with a box of 5 items, shipped right to your door for you to try on in the comfort of your own home.
I love being able to try them on at my own leisure, to see how they'll work with the most appropriate under garments, shoes, belts, etc. – which I always mix and match with new pieces!
If you like at least one thing from your “Fix,” you pay just for that item. No shipping, no styling fee. Nada.
Prices are anywhere from around $38-188 depending on the item – tops, to dresses, for example) and nothing more.
If you like nothing from what's sent, it costs $20 for the service in its entirety for that box – no more, no less. A small price to pay to not have to brave the mall. Although, admittedly, as a native Jersey girl, I'm quite at home in nearly any shopping mall.
The “Fixes” get better every month as you keep and return items and give feedback based on style, fit, price, etc.
I typically keep anywhere from one to three items, but in two boxes I received, I kept everything! It's almost creepy (but in the best way possible) how spot-on the stylists are. I've talked to a few friends who've also started the service, and their ability to send us great jeans that fit is certainly a signature value. Every one of my friends has gotten great jeans from Stitch Fix!
What's more, they will check out a Pinterest board if you have one, to see styles you like – even from other people's “Fixes.” So, if you like something you see here, Pin it and maybe it'll come in a future fix of yours if it's still available! I've gotten two dresses I asked for, and have loved them both!
My best advice for getting a great fix:
1. Be honest. Fill out your profile with as much accurate and honest information as you can. Don't say you like something or are okay with a certain color if you know you're not. For example, if you never want white shirts, tell them.
2. Be specific. Once you get to your second fix and beyond, tell your stylist in the feedback form exactly why you did or did not like something. Don't be worried about anyone's feelings, it's her job to find you items you love!
3. Pin, pin, pin! If you create a Pinterest board with items you like and styles you like, you'll get much better fixes that suit your taste. If you can pin items you see others getting from Stitch Fix that you think you'd love as well, that's even better. They've been great about sending me exact items I've pinned along with a mix of other items my stylist selects – and it's worked out great.
4. Sneak a peek. I can't stand surprises, so once I see that my fix has shipped, I click on the “Checkout” link in my account and see what's been sent. It's a little sneaky to do this, but I like to do a google search for “stitch fix ____________” and I paste in the name of the item. This doesn't always land you on exactly the items you'll be getting, but often you can come close or find an image where someone else has received it and blogged about it. For me, this helps me manage my expectations and then I can anticipate what's arriving soon.
5. Try it all on, even if you're sure you won't like it. If there's anything redeeming or proven awful about the piece, you want to tell your stylist that. For example, I received a mod-style shift dress in one fix that I absolutely knew would not flatter my curvy shape. I tried it on anyway just to prove what I assumed, and I was correct. I was then able to verbalize the problems with the item and its fit to my stylist in my feedback.
Here are more photos of some of my many Stitch Fix successes!
Follow me on InstaGram and on Periscope to see them unboxed live as they come in.
Affiliate note: Stitch Fix will send me a thank you if you order through my link – which I appreciate tons. And, heads up! You can share your own link with friends to enjoy the same benefit if you try the service and love it as much as I do!