Where to eat at Paleo & gluten-free restaurants in San Francisco
When I travel, I use the hashtag #PracticalPaleoTravel, but I also have hashtags with the city added to the end, for example: #PracticalPaleoTravelSF. While I call my beloved San Francisco home, I know many folks come in from out of town to visit…so here are some restaurants and food I love in this city! If you need more travel tips, check on this blog post: Practical Paleo Travel Tips.
Listed alphabetically. Quick links to read more below for some but not all. I may not have great photos from all of them, so they may not have details but if they're starred, they're favorites nonetheless:
- 15 Romolo (North Beach)
- Bar Tartine*^ (Mission)
- Belcampo (Polk Street)
- Blue Barn* (Polk Street / Russian Hill & Chestnut Street / Marina)
- Crisp Bake Shop (Sonoma – outside of SF)
- Heirloom Cafe*^ (Folsom Street)
- Ichi Sushi*^ (Mission)
- Jane on Fillmore* (Fillmore Street)
- La Mar*^ (Embarcadero/Downtown)
- La Méditerranée (Fillmore Street / Pacific Heights)
- Little Gem Restaurant* (Gough Street / Hayes Valley)
- Mamacita* – Mexican (Chestnut Street, Marina)
- Mission Heirloom – AIP & low FODMAP friendly – (Berkeley – outside of SF)
- Park Tavern^ (North Beach)
- The Plant Cafe (Embarcadero / Downtown & Steiner Street / Marina)
- Roam Artisan Burgers* (Fillmore Street / Pacific Heights & Union Street / Cow Hollow)
- Royal Ground – coffee shop – (Polk Street / Russian Hill & other locations)
- San Francisco Airport (SFO)
- Souvla * (Hayes Valley)
- Tataki * – sushi – (California Street / Lower Pacific Heights)
*My favorites – the ones we dine at most often and are casual.
^Favorites that are nicer for a sit-down dinner – reservations recommended or required.
- Charcuterie board at 15 Romolo. Good thing this was on the bar menu when I met @zestforlifetoday – it was yummy!
Date night steak dinners at Belcampo on Polk. Yum! The vino and fries were for Scott. I also had a salad to start.
A great picnic lunch from Belcampo – roast beef, Bologna, cabbage & kale salad, Jackson's honest chips and some spicy mustard. Enjoyed this outside in a parklet with @grassfedgirl.
A lunch date for Scott and I! For me: the arugula salad with chopped Mary's chicken for protein (double order, I gave some to him from my bowl) and that's Manchego cheese shaved on top of mine. For him: the “beets & greens” salad with curried chicken salad for protein. Plus, grape kombucha for me and water for him. We shared the chocolate PB Krispy treat. It's a definite treat!
- I had a quick business meeting at Crisp Bake Shop in Sonoma which meant a gluten-free blueberry scone with some unsweetened iced tea. One thing I've definitely noticed since developing nut allergies is that while Paleo-friendly treats are more nutrient dense than gluten-free ones, I can't enjoy them at all anymore, so I appreciate the nut-free and gluten-free goodies that are available in so many places now.
We ate at this dinner was perfect – highly recommend! This was halibut with English peas over cauliflower.
Strauss vanilla bean ice cream + Ritual espresso = a perfect affogato.
- Get the omikase if you're game – their sushi is amazing… just don't ask for soy sauce because if you're getting the chef's tasting menu, it won't come with any. And don't bring the coconut aminos here, either, you won't need them!
Sushi dinner out with friends @sfbaydetox and @powerlifting_in_the_parksf at @ichisushi here in #SanFrancisco – amazing eats! Will definitely be back! 🍣🙌🏻 #nowyouwantsushi #bernal #practicalpaleotravelSF (not Paleo but need to tag it for my sushi loving travelers) – they do #glutenfree quite easily upon request
🍴🍳☕️Lunch yesterday with @paleofoodiekitchen here in #SanFrancisco at @janeonfillmore. Their avocado toast on #glutenfree bread is seriously ridiculous. If you visit SF, get it. Oh, and we shared a salad that was 👌🏻 too! When I travel, I typically eat more #gf than #paleo and unless you need to be restrictive, I recommend eating as wide of a variety as you can while maintaining your health and happiness. (But I also live here so this isn't travel for me, but that tip applies when I leave town!) #practicalpaleoTravelSF #glutenfreetravel #glutenfreetravelSF #sfeats #brunchinSF #breakfastinSF
Tiradito (Peruvian sashimi with sauce like a ceviche). People ask me all the time what my favorite food is and, until now, I've been all “I don't like to play favorites because I love so many foods.” I lied. THIS is my favorite food! This one is salmon and I enjoyed it atop their house-made sweet potato chips. SO GOOD.
Movers came this day so we ordered delivery for dinner. This is Mediterranean food from La Méditerranée (I called to check that it is all gluten free before ordering delivery): chicken kebabs, saffron chicken, babagannoush and salads. Scott will eat the majority of the delicious saffron rice that came with all of this, and I'll only have the bits that stuck to my half of the saffron chicken. Don't order the rice for strict Paleo!
Lunch date with my honey, Scott at Little Gem Restuarant. Loved what we had, but both felt like our flatbreads could have used a bit more acid and maybe some fresh herbs – the bread is their NON which is gluten and nut-free! Everything here is gluten, dairy, and refined sugar-free. Lovely casual new spot.
Tacos. Ceviche. Locally sourced and high quality meat & veggies – need I say more? Oh, happy hour specials. GO HERE.
Happy Taco Tuesday! 🌮 I ordered the carne asasa tacos tonight after my ceviche, as usual, because I'm totally the type to order the same things, over and over, once I decide that I love them. I don't care how delicious your order is, I just want what I already know I'll love. Do you do that, too? Or do you keep trying new things?! (No, corn tortillas aren't Paleo, neither is the cojita cheese on top.) ## #menuloyalty #tacotuesday #glutenfree #glutenfreetraveo #practicalpaleotravel #practicalpaleoTravelSF #sanfrancisco #mamacita
Favorite food! 🐟🍋🍊This is ceviche jugoso at Mamacita here in #sanfrancisco – Hawaiian ono bathing in juice loaded with every kind of citrus, some cilantro, jalapeño, cucumbers, and radishes – love it so much! They serve it with corn chips but you could eat it off your fork or on cucumbers if you want to keep it #Paleo / I went #glutenfree with the chips 😉 Oh, then we had tacos…! Next pic will be of tacos… #tacotuesday #practicalpaleoTravelSF #practicalpaleotravel #marina
One of my last bites of pate from Mission Heirloom in Berkeley on their yucan crunch cracker with some (gasp!) wild rice on top. I legitimately had not had wild rice in years and I remembered loving it. It was lovely and the nuttiness and texture were great.
This delicious dinner tonight at Park Tavern on Washington Square with our good friends @victoryflair and @stickdogg. Halibut (mine), pork chop (Scott's), and veal carpaccio with cracklings (shared – this was my favorite dish!) So good!
- Lunch today at The Plant Cafe – green curry with chicken and extra veggies, no rice. So yummy, bright, and super fresh tasting.
This meal was shared post-workout with two badass athletes ~ @jensinkler and her radass (like badass, but radder) rugby friend Pam after a fun training session together.
A lunch date with Scott! I'm eating elk burgers on a lettuce wrap with a few sweet potato fries and also had some of the salad. He had the big Market Salad with 2 skewers of beef burgers and the bulk of the sweet potato fries.
Here is a great big salad from Roam. The protein is grass fed beef mini burgers. The drink is a coconut kombucha.
His and hers at Royal Ground on Polk St. His is regularly drip with almond milk. Mine is decaf Americano with butter.
- This meal was from the Tyler Florence spot in Terminal 2 – rotisserie chicken with beets/carrots and greens.
- I grabbed the GT Synergy Mystic Mango kombucha from the Napa Farms Market on the way out of SFO. Note: the kale chips were a purchase at Whole Foods but they do sell kale chips and other similar items at Napa Farms Market.
Terminal 3 – DogPatch: 3 salads plus chicken. Kale, beets, squash… I squeezed lemon over it or I add some salt because I always think it needs some acid or salt… But it's pretty legit!
A breakfast in Terminal 3 from DogPatch – butternut squash and kale salad topped with chicken that @grassfedgirl sent with me for my flight. I added Kasandrinos EVOO and splurged on a kombucha. (Use code balancedbites to save 15% on Kasandrinos purchases!)
- Huge salads that sneak some kale in there but dress and mix it so well with other ingredients you'll hardly notice the dark leafy green goodness. Get the fries. We haven't asked about their cooking oils yet, and are almost afraid to, but they are worth it!
Lunch at @souvlasf today with @paleomg and @fullbodyfix was delicious! Always fun dining win friends and talking shop. 🌟🎙Have you guys seen that Juli has a new podcast now?! It's called PaleOMG Uncensored in iTunes and on her blog! 🙌🏻📲 #practicalpaleoTravelSF #GREEKIFIED #souvla #sanfrancisco #bayareaeats #sf #iheartSF #SFeats #paleomg #doitforthefries
- Lunch with friends. I forgot to snap a pic of the whole platter so this was all that was left when I thought of it. It's Arctic char and avocado. Tataki on California Street serves sustainable and wild fish – super legit. Super yummy. I brought my own coconut aminos 🙂
- Sushi date with my big sister, @LisaYogaLondon, who visited me in San Fran in May 2016. It was DELISH. You can order rolls with cucumber and no rice, too.