Meals are shipped nationwide in the United States via UPS. If you live in Alaska or Hawaii, you must select expedited shipping at checkout or your order will be canceled and we'll contact you to replace it accordingly. Ground orders all ship FREE. Expedited orders have an extra charge.
Pantry items are shipped to all 50 states via USPS or UPS. Shipping costs are calculated at checkout.
All meal boxes ship free. If you're shipping a meal box to Alaska or Hawaii you will have to pay for expedited shipping.
Shipping costs for all pantry items are as follows:
-Orders up to $39.99, shipping is $9.95
-Orders $40.00-$74.99, shipping is $11.95
-Orders $75.00 and up, shipping is $13.95
*Rates have been adjusted to account for increased shipping costs during peak holiday season. We will revisit shipping costs in the new year and adjust shipping costs back down, if possible.
Please take a minute to read our blog post on true shipping costs for small businesses here.
Your Balanced Bites Meals are shipped in biodegradable insulated boxes with custom frozen gel packs which are reusable (dry ice is also added for most of the year).
- Shipping box - recycle.
- White box liner - remove the plastic and recycle it with your plastic bags or throw in the garbage (depending on your local recycling processing). Recycle the interior cotton pad.
- Brown paper box liner - recycle.
- Meal containers - recycle.
- Meal container cover film - garbage.
- Gel packs - reuse or garbage, the contents are made of food-grade starch and water. (I am working on more sustainable ideas for ice that will keep food safely frozen for up to 3 days, please contact me if you know of an alternative. Note that dry ice alone will not guarantee cold/frozen food for more than about the first 24-48 hours.)
Balanced Bites is not responsible for food spoilage after the box has been delivered if it is not frozen or refrigerated immediately.
Each meal is individually prepared and packaged to feed one person. The portions are generous, so some who eat smaller meals may find them to be more than one serving.
The meals are shipped frozen and will arrive to you frozen/partially-frozen or refrigerator-cold. If your meals are thawed or partially thawed, they are perfectly safe to freeze until whenever you decide to eat them. The texture and quality will be perfect no matter what thanks to our vacuum seal.
If you choose to defrost them in your refrigerator, you can do so for up to 3 days before heating to eat.Frozen, the meals will taste best within 90 days but will keep for up to 6 months.
Yes, it is a 100% gluten-free kitchen!
No, they aren't, but keep reading...
You spoke, I listened!
When I polled my readers to ask if you all would prefer to have premium quality, all grass-fed/organic ingredients in these meals as well as premium pricing, OR, squeaky clean ingredients and antibiotic/hormone-free meats, the latter was the vote by a landslide.
You all told me that TASTY, more affordable meals alongside the convenience of being ready-made and without weird additives or preservatives was priority.
The meat in these meals are all 100% antibiotic and hormone-free. I still encourage you to shop and cook with grass-fed/organic ingredients as often as possible, but when it comes to convenience foods like this, getting squeaky clean, well balanced meals made by real people with no additives is a great trade-off. Remember that most restaurants won't be serving food that's perfect quality either, so what you're getting from BB Meals is going to beat any delivery or takeout more often than not.
1. From frozen: Place tray in microwave and use the auto defrost/frozen entree button, or heat for 4 to 5 minutes at 50% power until defrosted. Then heat at full-power for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until heated through to your liking.
2. From defrosted: heat for 2-2 1/2 minutes.
3. Carefully remove the film and enjoy!
Absolutely! Each meal just needs to be defrosted first to place into another container, as the container isn't oven safe! You can also place the container in warm water to loosen the food from the tray to pop it out and heat in another way.
Cut the protective film from the top, then place the contents into a skillet or oven-safe and heat until warmed-through.