Like banana bread, but even better because who doesn't love a donut?! These cake mini donuts are the perfect addition to any brunch spread.
This recipe also contains one of our Balanced Bites Spice Blends - CINNAMON Infused Sugar - which you can shop here!
- 2 bananas, mashed (1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut or almond extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk, canned or homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour (or almond flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, softened
- 2 to 4 tablespoons crushed pecans, hazelnuts, or almonds (optional)
If you’re using a donut pan, preheat the oven to 350°F; if you’re using an electric mini-donut maker, plug it in to preheat.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the bananas, eggs, vanilla, hazelnut extract, coconut milk, and vinegar. Sift in the dry ingredients and continue to whisk to combine. Alternatively, for a smoother consistency than whisking by hand allows, you can combine all the ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender.
Put the batter in a plastic zip-top bag and snip off a small corner (or use a pastry bag). Grease the pan right before filling. Pipe the batter to fill each slot approximately half-full, as the donuts will rise when baking.
If using a donut pan: Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
If using an electric mini-donut maker (as pictured): Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then repeat until all of the batter is used up (about 3 rounds). Re-grease the donut maker before each round.
Allow the donuts to cool before dipping them in the softened coconut or almond butter (or you may drizzle the butters on top). Sprinkle on the crushed nuts, if desired.
This recipe requires a 6-slot standard donut pan or an electric mini-donut maker (with slots for 7 mini donuts).