I've been promising you this recipe for years, & it is well worth the wait. This is my go-to stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving and the holidays and it's so easy, you'll barely need the recipe.
It starts with a mirepoix base seasoned with my SAVORY spice blend, then you add sourdough bread, fresh cranberries, chestnuts, and herbs, mix with chicken or turkey broth, and bake. That's it! Plus, you can make it a couple of days ahead of time & simply reheat on the day of the event. Easy!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter or ghee, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp SAVORY Spice Blend
- 16 oz sourdough bread, cubed into ½” pieces
- ½ cup fresh cranberries, whole
- 1 cup shelled/cooked chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Melt the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the pan and season lightly with salt. Allow the vegetables to cook until softened and the onion is translucent. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee to the pan.
Add the SAVORY Spice Blend to the vegetables, then add the bread, cranberries, chestnuts, and herbs and gently toss to distribute evenly among the vegetables.
Add the broth and stir to combine, making sure that all of the bread is absorbing some broth. Add more broth if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning as-necessary.
Cover and transfer to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until the cranberries soften. This dish prepares well ahead of time and can reheat easily covered in the oven or in a microwave.