Taco salad gets taken to a whole new place with our Chicken Fajita Salad, featuring our TACO & FAJITA Spice Blend - which you can grab here!
- 3 teaspoons cooking fat, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, sliced into strips
- 2 chicken breasts (approximately 1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon TACO & FAJITA Spice Blend
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 avocado, sliced, for serving
- 2 tablespoons pico de gallo, for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Juice of 1/2 lime, for serving
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
Heat 2 teaspoons of the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veggies and stir, then let them sit a little to allow them to brown more easily. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until slightly browned and fork-tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper. In the same skillet used to cook the veggies, melt the remaining teaspoon of fat over medium-high heat. Place the chicken strips in the hot skillet and sear each side. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may want to cook them in two batches so that they brown and cook through rather than steam as a result of an over-crowded pan.
Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F.
Add 1/4 cup of the water to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Return the onions and peppers to the pan. Add the Taco & Fajita Spice Blend and the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Stir to combine and heat through.
To serve, place the romaine lettuce in a large serving bowl and top with the chicken, onions and peppers, avocado, pico de gallo, and cilantro. Finish with the fresh lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.