- 2 tablespoons bacon fat, lard, coconut oil or other cooking fat (I used strips of lardo that I diced and rendered down)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 18oz diced tomatoes (I like Jovial or Bionature brand)
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh or dried, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the bacon fat and cook the onions until they are translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
Add the garlic and stir in to cook for an additional 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Stir to combine and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer together for 15-20 minutes.
Add the basil and oregano and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve over zucchini noodles (pictured) and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil for added flavor and richness.
- pour over steamed or lightly sautéed zucchini squash noodles (pictured) – I use this spiralizer tool to make mine
- top zucchini noodles and sauce with grilled chicken or meatballs
- mix some of the sauce into ground meat to make a meat loaf