This simple Pollo Asado recipe is my version of the traditional Mexican / Cuban slow-cooked chicken dish, marinated in lots of lime & orange juice, & seasoned with spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, and chili powder.
What I love about this recipe is how versatile it is – I've served it here with my Confetti Cauli-Rice, though it would also be delicious in a taco using organic corn tortillas or as a protein on a taco salad, with rice & beans, or with sautéed plantains.
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- Juice & zest of 1 orange, at least 1/4 cup of orange juice is needed
- Juice & zest of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon TACO & FAJITA Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon TEX MEX Spice Blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Combine all the ingredients except the chicken in a large mixing bowl & toss to combine. Marinate the chicken in a shallow, nonreactive container for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 375*F.
Place the chicken in an oven-safe baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165*F. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
Serve over Confetti Cauli Rice. Garnish with wedges and fresh cilantro.
Use 2 tablespoons of TEX MEX blend and omit TACO & FAJITA blend.