This TEX MEX Chicken Soup is so simple to throw together (only 10 mins of prep!), it will quickly become your new favorite soup recipe.
It's especially delicious if you have leftover Taco Chicken, though you can absolutely use any pre-cooked chicken you have on hand.
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 3 tbsp TEX MEX Spice Blend
- 2 quarts (64 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds Instant Pot Taco Chicken or other pre-cooked chicken
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Coarse sea salt and coarsely cracked black pepper
Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, and carrots and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the spice blend and broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Heat briefly, just to warm the chicken, then taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with avocado slices, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and some coarse salt and cracked pepper.