Greek flavors are some of my absolute favorites! These Chicken Souvlaki Kebabs feature lemon, oregano, and a rich-tasting extra- virgin olive oil that magically blend together, and take me back to our trip to Greece a few years back.
I’ve added some turmeric to what would otherwise be a more traditional souvlaki marinade to up the nutritional value and the visual impact of these skewers. They’re perfect for a cookout or even a weeknight meal. Shop our Balanced Bites Greek Spice Blend to make this recipe even easier!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon GREEK Spice Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small red onion
- Coarse sea salt
- Minced fresh oregano
TOMATO & CUCUMBER SALAD
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into half- moons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano, optional
- Sea salt and black pepper
Make the marinade: Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a mixing bowl.
Marinate the chicken: Cut the chicken breast into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Add the chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
When you’re ready to grill the chicken, preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and remove the chicken from the marinade (discard any remaining marinade). Cut the red on- ion into 1 1/2-inch chunks, then arrange the marinated chicken pieces on skewers, alternat- ing them with the onion pieces.
Grill the skewers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until the chicken is seared but not burned and the internal temperature registers 165°F, 16 to 20 minutes total.
Make the salad (optional): Toss the tomatoes, olives, and cucumber with the lemon juice, olive oil, and oregano (if using). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish the kebabs with a sprinkling of coarse sea salt and fresh oregano leaves, and serve with the salad, if desired.