The creamy mustard sauce, paired with the umami mushrooms and chicken thighs create the perfect easy dinner that's sure to satisfy everyone at the dinner table!
This recipe also contains one of our Balanced Bites Spice Blends - TRIFECTA Spice Blend - which you can shop here!
- 2 large or 4 small zucchini
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat, divided
- TRIFECTA Spice Blend
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk, store-bought or homemade
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Grated Parmesan, Romano, or other hard cheese of choice, for garnish
- Fresh chives, chopped, for garnish (optional)
Make the zucchini noodles: Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Place a steamer basket in the pot.
While the water comes to a boil, shred the zucchini or yellow squash into noodles using a handheld julienne peeler, a spiralizer tool, or even a regular vegetable peeler (if using a regular peeler, the noodles will be wide and flat instead of spaghetti-shaped). You should get 2 cups of noodles.
When the water is boiling, steam the noodles in the basket for 3 minutes, then place them in a colander to drain off the excess liquid as they cool slightly. Set aside.
Make the chicken: In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the cooking fat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Season liberally with the spice blend halfway through cooking. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
In the same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of cooking fat and increase the heat to medium-heat. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and stir to coat. Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes, stir again, and then cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until fork-tender.
Lower the heat to medium, add the chicken, and toss to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, then add the broth, coconut milk, onion powder, and mustard. Stir to combine, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the sauce has mostly been absorbed into the mushrooms and chicken.
Serve over the zucchini noodles and garnish with grated cheese and chives, if desired.