This recipe also contains one of our Balanced Bites Spice Blends - ITALIAN Spice Blend - which you can shop here!
- 2 pounds ground beef, pork, or turkey, or a combination
- 1 tablespoon ITALIAN Spice Blend
- 1 bunch Italian kale, removed from stem and finely chopped
- 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4 large zucchini
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Grated hard cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano, for garnish (optional)
Place the ground meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spice blend, stir to combine, and cook until the meat is browned through, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the kale and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium, add the pasta sauce, and simmer until the sauce is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste, then remove the pan from the heat.
While the sauce is cooking, make the zucchini into noodles using a spiral slicer, a handheld julienne peeler, or even a regular vegetable peeler (if using a regular peeler, the noodles will be wide and flat instead of spaghetti-shaped). You should get about 4 cups of noodles.
Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water and place a steamer basket in the pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles to the basket and steam for 3 minutes. Transfer the noodles to a colander to drain and allow to cool slightly.
Place the noodles in a large bowl and top with the meat-and-greens sauce. Garnish with the basil and grated cheese, if desired.
Omit the cheese.