My Jersey Style Deli Tuna Salad brings me back to my childhood, growing up in a small town in Northern New Jersey. We couldn't walk or drive two blocks without seeing at least one bagel shop – probably flanked by a couple of Italian restaurants. If you're from that area, you feel me here.
This deli tuna salad is quick to whip up, and delicious in a lettuce wrap, with sliced veggies like cucumber or carrots, or as part of a bagel sandwich, if that works for you!
- 1 small red or yellow onion approximately 3-3.5 ounces, cut into quarters
- 1 large or 2 small carrots approximately
- 4-5 ounces 2 cans wild tuna
- 1 tablespoon TRIFECTA Spice Blend, SUPER TRIFECTA Spice Blend, or GARLIC LEMON PEPPER Spice Blend
- 4-6 tablespoons mayonnaise of choice (depending on how creamy you like it)
- 1 tablespoon tuna juice (optional)
Set up your food processor with the regular blade, and add the onion. Process until finely minced.
Remove the regular blade and attach the shredding disc. Shred the carrot into the processor on top of the onion.
Drain the tuna, reserving the liquid in a small bowl. Add the tuna and spice blend and pulse a few times. Then add the mayonnaise and pulse until well combined. You can add some the tuna juice if you want a softer mixture without adding additional mayonnaise.
A yellow or white carrot will keep the salad from turning orange. You could also use a stalk of fresh celery shredded in after the carrot.