This recipe is perfect if you’re planning a special dinner, or want a meal that feels restaurant quality but with simple steps.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup flour of choice (AP, gluten-free, cassava, or almond flour)
- 1 tablespoon GARLIC LEMON PEPPER Spice Blend, divided
- 1 large egg 3-4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 medium shallot, finely sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons GARLIC LEMON PEPPER Spice Blend
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth (cold)
- 1 tablespoon flour or arrowroot starch (if using almond flour, use arrowroot)
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- Rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes
- Garnish with capers and chopped fresh parsley or cilantro.
Preheat the oven (convection if you have it) or set an air-fryer to 375F. Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
Bread the chicken: In a large shallow dish, whisk the egg with 1 teaspoon of GARLIC LEMON PEPPER spice blend, then in a separate bowl, whisk the flour with 2 teaspoons of the GARLIC LEMON PEPPER spice blend.
Dip of a piece of chicken into the egg to coat it completely, allowing the excess egg to drip off. Next, dredge the chicken in the flour mixture to coat it completely, gently shaking off any excess. Repeat this process with all the pieces of chicken. Place a large, heavy-bottomed or stainless steel saute pan over medium heat. Melt the ghee in the pan and allow it to become hot (but not smoking), about 2-3 minutes.
Working in batches, place the chicken in the hot pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until the breading has turned golden brown, adding more ghee to the pan as needed. Transfer the browned chicken to the wire rack on the baking sheet and space them out evenly.
Once all the chicken has been browned, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (convection/air-fryer tends to take less time than conventional oven), until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Make the sauce:
While the chicken bakes, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt the ghee. Add the shallots and saute until translucent. Whisk the broth with the arrowroot to dissolve it, then add to the pot and whisk to combine.
Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook until reduced by half. Add the capers when the sauce is just about finished, just to warm through. Taste after adding the capers and add more seasoning as-needed - the capers add salinity so you may only need more pepper at this point versus salt and pepper or more GARLIC LEMON PEPPER spice blend.
Garnish with herbs if desired.
Serve over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
Reheat any leftover chicken the same way you cooked it - in the oven or air fryer - for about 5-7 minutes.