For months I've been enjoying a version of this Italian Hoagie Salad.
I grew up in New Jersey, in a largely Italian town and with an Italian father. The flavors of this salad are pure nostalgia for me!
We used to enjoy sandwiches (hoagies) piled high with meat, cheese, and a tangy vinegar-y dressing. Italian hoagies were the only thing I'd eat at the time with onions and oregano!
Delicious salads aren't hard to make, but I can easily get stuck in a rut. This salad will kick up the excitement and be a great change of pace. It's delicious as a single-serving, or you can make this ahead and it's party-perfect!
Quick Lemony Italian Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsps Balanced Bites ITALIAN spice blend
For the salad
- 1/4 cup red onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby kale, arugula, or other leafy green
- 2 ounces salami chopped
- 2 ounces turkey chopped
- 2 ounces ham chopped
- 1/2 ounce gouda or parmesean cheese shaved
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini, chopped
- 1 pinch oregano, as garnish
- 1 pinch black pepper, as garnish
Whisk or blend together all dressing ingredients.
Place the sliced onions into a small, flat dish and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of the dressing over them to allow them to quickly marinate while you make the salad.
Assemble the rest of the salad, then pour the onions and dressing over the top - enjoy!