For months I've been enjoying a version of this Italian Hoagie Salad. I was busy working hard to finish my new book, Keto Quick Start, so didn't get a moment to share this recipe until now.
I grew up in New Jersey, in a largely Italian town and with an Italian father. The flavors of this salad are pure nostalgia for me!
We used to enjoy sandwiches (hoagies) piled high with meat, cheese, and a tangy vinegar-y dressing. Italian hoagies were the only thing I'd eat at the time with onions and oregano!
Right now I'm kicking myself for not including this keto recipe in my new book. It's so good! Admittedly, there aren't many salad recipes in it. I did include a lot of quick-fix meals for inspiration, like this one in the book. You can add this to your keto meal plan as you try out the other recipes in the book if you want!
Keto salads aren't hard to make, but I can easily get stuck in a rut. This salad will kick up the excitement and be a great change of pace. It's delicious as a single-serving, or you can make this ahead and it's party-perfect!
Keto Italian Hoagie Salad Recipe
This salad recipe is keto friendly and you can easily make it paleo by omitting the cheese. This recipe is also 21-Day Sugar Detox friendly! So enjoy it on your #21DSD!
Keto Italian Hoagie Salad
Quick Lemony Italian Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad
- 1/4 cup red onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby kale, arugula, or other leafy green
- 2 ounces salami chopped
- 2 ounces turkey chopped
- 2 ounces ham chopped
- 1/2 ounce gouda or parmesean cheese shaved
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini chopped
- 1 pinch oregano as garnish
- 1 pinch black pepper as garnish
- Whisk or blend together all dressing ingredients.
- Place the sliced onions into a small, flat dish and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of the dressing over them to allow them to quickly marinate while you make the salad.
- Assemble the rest of the salad, then pour the onions and dressing over the top - enjoy!