This Umami Steak and Arugula Salad features the easiest and best marinade you’ll ever make for steak!
Diane's umami steak flavor combination works with nearly any protein, and the flavor infuses quickly, in an hour if that’s all you have. Don’t skip this simple recipe—it will quickly become your go-to way to prepare steak.
To make this recipe even simpler, shop Balanced Bites Trifecta spice blend here.
It's a go-to blend featuring salt, pepper, and garlic that you will find yourself reaching for time and time again, beyond Umami Steak.
Umami Steak & Arugula Salad
- 2 pounds rib eye, hanger steak, or skirt steak
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon TRIFECTA blend
- 6 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces blue cheese, goat cheese, or feta (optional)
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Coarse sea salt for garnish
- Marinate the steak: In a large baking dish, coat the steak evenly in the coconut aminos and the spice blend. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to grill the steak, preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat. Cook the steak for 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness and desired level of doneness. Set the cooked steak aside to rest for 10 minutes, then slice it against the grain into thin strips.
- While the steak is resting, assemble the rest of the ingredients in large bowls for the salad.
- Add the sliced steak on top of the salad and serve while the steak is still warm. Garnish with coarse sea salt.
- 2/3 cup extra−virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon gluten−free Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper, in a blender and blend on low for 10 to 20 seconds. You can also whisk the ingredients together, but the dressing will not be as smooth.
- Taste the dressing, add salt and pepper to taste, and adjust the other seasonings to your liking. Add more oil, vinegar, and/or citrus juice as desired.
- Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Omit the cheese.
To pack in even more nutrition without more carbs, add microgreens to this salad! I recommend about 1/4 cup per person.
After you make this recipe, be sure you comment below and post about it (and tag us!) on Instagram @balancedbites. We want to hear what you think!
For more easy salad ideas and inspiration, head to our recipes index page here.